Monday, May 31, 2010

Remembering People--Blur


Have you ever had one of those moments? Like the one where you are sure you know someone, but for the life of you, you cannot remember their name? You know you have had extensive conversations with them in the past, they made you laugh about something or other.

You see them, assume they recognize you, you give them a hug--then they look at you like you're a complete stranger (mouth agape) and the moment suddenly becomes uncomfortably and exceedingly awkward.

You both reintroduce yourselves but you are left with a seething "duh" moment realizing you have just met their family and they have no idea who you are or where you have met.

Of course right after the re-introductions you immediately forget their name again--probably the prolonged awkwardness erased it from your mind for life.

Maybe you haven't had one of those moments.

Oh well. It was nice to know you, whoever you are--sister from the Inwood 2nd ward.

1 comment:

Camille said...

Ha ha!!! I love this! I kept seeing this girl around and I knew I knew her from somewhere. I kept wanting to go up and talk to her, but I'm too shy so I never did. Then one day as I was grocery shopping I realized why she looked so familiar.... she was my checker probably 5 times out of 10. I don't think she would've recognized me on the street, though. ;)