Friday, December 28, 2012

Why do we forget epiphanies?

You know when you have that glorious ah-ha moment and you feel like your life will never be the same?  That happens to me about three times a week (at least).  For example my ephiphanous moment yesterday included me realizing that no matter the circumstance, I have control over my reactions (a la Man's Search for Meaning).  If only I could remember that.
I love the look in the photo of the seal and S's face.

Then I was reading a book on relationships.  I was reading a section that I felt described me perfectly.  I almost didn't buy that book; it is used and is heavily pre-highlighted; and again another epiphany.  Mostly it has convinced me that we're all extremely emotional and all that pressure can make diamonds or coal, depending on our reactions.  

I don't have this reaction, much. 
This is from the Julia Child exhibit at the Smithsonian in Washington D.C.

Now as my children are vying for the computer next to me and now with that computer off, the seat next to me. I am typing as the hollering escalates and now I'm turning off my computer to deal with it and we're all going to go make the minestrone soup for dinner tonight that has 4.5 stars from 1,299 people on allrecipies.com because I have everything except the zucchinis and fresh basil.  

And I wonder why epiphanies don't stick. now to go react positively and smile and emote motherly confidence, peacemaking and awesome cook-ness.

Later added addendum:
We had a doctors appointment a little later and we waited 1.5 well mannered hours for the doctor--with confirmed cases of croup and strep, went to the pharmacy and waited one hour when a hunger strike broke out, ate at the Golden Starches (McDs) and then back to the pharmacy where we waited another 40 minutes, including a bathroom break in the off-limits-an-associate-will-stand-guard-of-stockroom-merchandise-as-you-go area of the store. Also, I got a flu shot. Then we window shopped back to the other pharmacy where another prescription was waiting.  It was all cheerful, except for the hunger strike.  It also helped that the second pharmacy gave gumballs to all my kidlets (there was much rejoicing in the land, if you know what I mean). Then to top it off with gladness, W was home and greeted me with a big kiss and hug, which was much needed by then.  Yay! It is the weekend.  Minestrone tomorrow! :)

No comments: